Monday, September 1, 2008

It's Labor Day?

For the last nine years, I was a lawyer at the Federal Reserve Board and a total slave to the federal holiday schedule. I typically would start looking forward to Labor Day weekend no later than July 5. Labor Day kicks off that wonderful 5-month period during which there are one or two federal holidays a month. It also features hands-down the best weather of any federal holiday and does not involve either cooking for a crowd or going over to someone else's house to be part of a crowd (a real bonus for the introverts among us). I think it would be safe to say that Labor Day always has been my favorite federal holiday. I even like Labor Day better than Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which falls around my birthday and frequently got me a long birthday weekend.

In light of my enduring fondness for Labor Day, something very strange happened this year. I did not even realize Labor Day was coming until last Friday, when I just happened to hear someone mention it on the radio. If it hadn't been for that, I probably would not have known about Labor Day until this morning, when I no doubt would have been caught wondering aloud why my significant other was not going to work. What a difference a year and a non-working perspective make! I guess that's to be expected, given the purpose and title of the holiday.

Now that I finally am with the program, I would like to wish everyone, workers and non-workers alike, a happy Labor Day. It is a beautiful September day out there -- at least in the DC metro area -- and I hope that folks will make the most of it.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I used to live from one holiday to the next when I was a Federal worker. Now that I'm retired, every day is a holiday, or is it that I don't have any more holidays?

Adrianne said...

I'm going with the first interpretation!

Jeffer Shen said...

The Rolex Deepsea Challenge is essentially a beefed up Submariner Deepsea watch (originally released in audemars piguet replica 2008). With the same in-house made Rolex Caliber 3135 automatic COSC Chronometer movement, it is larger in most all ways but retains the same basic DNA. Think of the Rolex Deepsea Challege and rolex replica uk the Deepsea's bigger more commercially unavailable brother. Beyond a certainly point making a watch super water resistant is about rolex replica watches armor. According to the brand, the Rolex Deepsea Challenge is able to resist 13.6 tonnes of pressure. That is up from rolex replica uk the 3.1 tonnes of pressure on the Rolex Deepsea. How is this possible? More metal... and sapphire. The super-sized Submariner style case is a chunky block of rolex replica uk is very nice 904L steel being 51.4mm wide and 28.5mm thick. The sapphire crystal alone is 14.3mm thick. It is a tank, made to replica watches resist the onslaught of pressure from all side.